Prof. Yun-Kyu An
Associate Professor (Dean of The Department)
Ph.D., Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, KAIST, Daejeon, Korea.
M.S., Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, KAIST, Daejeon, Korea.
B.S., Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Korea University, Seoul, Korea.
- Structural Health Monitoring, Nondestructive Evaluation, Smart Structures, Active Sensing Technologies, Artificial Intelligence
- Laser Ultrasonics, Laser Interferometry, Ultrasonic Wavefield Imaging, Guided Waves, Electromechanical Impedance, Infrared Thermography, MEMS Sensing Technology, Ground Penetrating Radar
- Structural Dynamics, Vibration/Modal Testing, Advanced Signal/Image Processing, Statistical Pattern Recognition, Theory & Modeling of Ultrasonic Wave Propagation, Machine Learning, Digital Twin
DISSERTATION & THESIS
Yun-Kyu An, “Noncontact Laser Ultrasonic Wavefield Imaging and Laser Lock-in Thermography Techniques for Structural Damage Detection”, Ph.D. Dissertation, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, KAIST, Daejeon, Korea, 2013.
Yun-Kyu An, “Enhanced Energy-based Instantaneous Reference-Free Damage Diagnosis using Guided Waves”, M.S. Thesis, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, KAIST, Daejeon, Korea, 2009.
2018 – Present
|Associate Professor, Department of Architectural Engineering, Sejong University, Seoul, Korea.|
2015 – 2018
Assistant Professor, Department of Architectural Engineering, Sejong University, Seoul, Korea.
2015 – 2016
Adjunct Professor, International Institute for Urban Systems Engineering, Southeast University, Nanjing, China.
2014 – 2015
Associate Professor, International Institute for Urban Systems Engineering, Southeast University, Nanjing, China.
- Best Paper Award (2019): The following conference paper is awarded as the best paper from KSMI. Hyun Jin Bae, Keun Young Jang and Yun-Kyu An, “Automated Crack Evaluation of a High-rise Bridge Pier using a Climbing Robot”, 2019 KSMI Conference, Gangneung, Korea, April 10-12, 2019.
- Co-chair of Asia Region in Early Career Researchers - International Society for Structural Health Monitoring of Intelligent Infrastructure (ECR-ISHMII) (2019~2020): One of two co-chairs in Asia region in Early Career Researchers - International Society for Structural Health Monitoring of Intelligent Infrastructure (ECR-ISHMII). The ECR-divisions have been founded in every region of the world at the same time including Asia, Europe, North America, Australasian and Industry. http://www.ishmii.org/.
- Invited Talk on Smart Construction and Safety Forum at Construction Hall, Seoul, Korea (2018.11.27): This forum is supported by MOLIT, KISC and KICT. The presentation title is “Deep Learning Techniques for Infrastructure Monitoring”. http://www.smartconstsafety.com/main/.
- Young Scientists Award (2017.12.20): This Young Scientists Award from Korean Academy of Science and Technology (KAST) honors promising young scientists under the age of 40 with outstanding research achievements in the fields of natural science and engineering. Every year, a nationwide search is conducted, and only five researchers are awarded this prestigious award that comes with the Presidential Citation and the Incentive Research Reward. This award is similar to the Presidential Early Career Award from US National Science Foundation (PECASE Award). The announcement was broadcast on TV in Korea and appeared in major Korean newspapers.
- Best Paper Award (2016): The following conference paper is awarded as the best paper from KSCE. Soonkyu Hwang, Yun-Kyu An and Hoon Sohn, “Development of a Line Laser Thermal Wave Imaging Technique for Fatigue Crack Inspection in a Steel Member under Dynamic Conditions”, KSCE 2016, Jeju, Korea, October 19-21, 2016.
- Most Cited Paper in Smart Materials & Structures (2015): The journal paper below is selected as the fourth of the 24 most highly cited papers published in 2013 in “Smart Materials and Structures” Journal (IF: 2.449). Yun-Kyu An, Byeongjin Park and Hoon Sohn “Complete Noncontact Laser Ultrasonic Imaging for Automated Crack Visualization in a Plate”, Smart Materials and Structures, Vol. 22(2), 025022, 2013.
- Most Cited Paper in Structural Control & Health Monitoring (2013): The journal paper below is selected as one of the five most highly cited papers published in 2010 in “Structural Control & Health Monitoring” Journal (IF: 1.544). Yun-Kyu An and Hoon Sohn “Instantaneous Crack Detection under Varying Temperature and Static Loading Conditions”, Structural Control & Health Monitoring, Vol. 17(7), pp. 730-741, 2010.
SERVICES & ACTIVITIES
2019 - Present
|Co-chair of Asia Region in Early Career Researchers, International Society for Structural Health Monitoring of Intelligent Infrastructure|
|SHM/PHM Committee member, 20th World Conference on Non-Destructive Testing|
2018 - 2018
|Committee member, The 7th Asia-Pacific Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring|
2018 - 2018
|Committee member, International Conference on Digital Image Correlation and Noncontact Experimental Mechanics|
|Committee member, Asia Pacific Conference of the Prognostics and Health Management (PHM) Society|
|Committee member, SPIE|
2014 - 2015
|Committee member,The 2nd and 3rd International Conferences on Structural Health Monitoring and Integrity Management|
|Editor, Korea Institute for Structural Maintenance Inspection|
|Future Technology Committee, Korean Society of Civil Engineers|
|Information and Technology Committee, Korean Society of Civil Engineers|
|Editor, International Journal of Concrete Structures and Materials|
|English Journal Editing Committee, Korea Concrete Institute|
2015 - 2017
|Construction Diagnosis Committee, Korea Institute for Structural Maintenance Inspection|
- Young Scientists Award (2017.12.20)
Veritas Alpha http://news.mt.co.kr/mtview.php?no=2017122612267414148
Seoul Economic http://www.sedaily.com/NewsView/1OOXHNM2C0
- Digital Times about “Instantaneous Crack Inspection Technique of Semiconductors” on December 12, 2013. (In Korean)
|This technique is one of my new technical developments achieved with Prof. Hoon Sohn’s research team at KAIST, Korea. This technology has got limelight from semiconductor manufacturers, especially supported from Samsung.|
- Appointment to “Associate Professor” at Southeast University (Ranking #3 in Civil Engineering), Nanjing, China, October 01, 2013. (In Korean)
- MBN “Korean Scientist” Program on November 26, 2011. (In Korean)
|This program is aimed to increase the interest of public in potential areas of science and technology, and introducing emerging Korean scientists who are having great achievements in their field. I’m featured as a laboratory leader of Prof. Hoon Sohn’s research group. http://youtu.be/5IsSUywuoAw|
- Field Test for Real Bridge Monitoring, NJ Rt 23 Wayne Bridge, New Jersey, US.
LTBP- IBS International Bridge Study